Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pregnant scaredy cat

 I had my 35 week checkup today, my weight gain has slowed down a little bit since my doctor told me to count my calories, but still gaining more than I would ideally like to. The baby is measuring right on track and he is head down ready for delivery. His heartbeat is very strong and he is still active as ever. He makes this pregnancy so much easier for me because I already love him so much and I would do anything for him! We are so excited to meet him!

So back to my appointment, everything was going great at the appointment until she told me that I would need to get a pertussis vaccination at the end of the appointment. For those of you that don't know me that well, I have a severe phobia of needles, it's ridiculous. I figured it wouldn't be such a big deal since I've gotten poked many times since I've been pregnant without too much of a problem. This time was a little different. 

The nurse came in to give me my shot and I really wasn't too worried about it. I told her I had a problem with needles so she laid me down to get the shot. She poked me and everything was fine, then I sat up and felt super dizzy all of the sudden. I laid back down and started blacking out and getting super sweaty. Now I don't usually sweat unless I'm working out really hard, but I was SWEATING bad and felt super nauseous. My face was flushed so she went and got me a cold rag for my head and told me to close my eyes and relax, and if I felt like I was going to pass out to yell for her. So I laid there for about 30 minutes before I could finally sit up, I felt like I was going to vomit but luckily I didn't. 

I have no clue why it was so bad this time, but luckily the nurse was super sweet and didn't make me feel stupid for being such a wimp. 

On another note, I felt my first painful Braxton Hicks contractions last night while Blake and I were out for a walk. It scared me to death because I thought I was going into labor since I was getting them about every 7 minutes, but luckily once we got home and sat down they stopped. As long as he doesn't come before we move into our next apartment I'll be happy, just please don't come while we are in this one bedroom apartment! haha I better knock on wood so I don't jinx myself. 

The doctor said I need to have my hospital bag all packed just in case I do go into labor and I need to install the carseat. She said if I do go into labor now since I've 35 weeks, they won't try to stop it so I need to be prepared for anything. She also told me I need to meet with different pediatrician's to find out which one I feel most comfortable with since we will be seeing them for many years to come. It's all becoming very real, very quick. I am anxious and excited, and a little freaked out of my mind haha.

2 comments:

  1. You will be GREAT! You are awesome :o) I hate shots too and I've had similar experiences. I think half the anxiety for me is knowing I'm going to be embarrassed by my reaction, haha!

    Is your mom coming out? I just can't wait to see this little man!!

    The next 5 or so weeks are the longest, but do things you won't be able to do with a new baby around: go get a pedicure (they feel GREAT in late pregnancy!), see a movie, eat out, etc. Read and study positive experiences; don't dwell on those "scary" hospital shows...they really are scary!

    And, just what I tell everyone, research c-sections. I wish I had. You probably won't end up needing one, but ours saved Nathan's life in the 11th hour and we wouldn't have had it any other way once we realized how necessary they can be. Being as prepared as possible will ease your anxiety as much as possible.

    Instead of being prepared, I was asking questions about recovery, the incision, etc. on the operating table, only to hear my doctor tell me, "you know, you've worked hard all day! Your baby's fine and we're patching you up. This is the last time in your life that you won't have a child to take care of...most people try to rest!" Anything that happens is absolutely worth it to get him here safely! You are already so maternal and sweet; you will be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything is going smoothly! Your boy will be here before you know it! And I agree, the last few weeks go by the slowest because of the anticipation. Every Braxton hicks contraction I got I would think "oh my gosh is this it?!" That happened for like a month haha.
    oh and labor and delivery is nothing like you see on shows. It's a lot more relaxed, calm and not all this screaming and panicking. Be flexible with how you "want" things to go because like she said above, it usually doesn't go as planned :) You are gonna do great! It's gonna be an incredible experience if you go in prepared (mentally) and if you relax....as much as possible haha. I'm actually jealous! I loved my labor/delivery experience (it was super hard though of course). You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete