Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Life with Brayden

Brayden will be 1 week old at 12:22 :-/ I'm having mixed feelings about it. I'm not ready for my baby to grow up! I want him to stay my baby forever. Our time with him has flown by.

At the hospital he slept great because he was so worn out from delivery. We were supposed to stay 48 hours since my water had been broken over 24 hours before he was delivered and because I had a fever during delivery as well. Luckily, the doctor gave us the OK to leave a day early so we could come home.

The first night we brought him home I probably got 2-3 hours of sleep, he had his days and nights confused and was wide awake all night long except when he was nursing. Blake and I really didn't know what to do but now we have a few tricks up our sleeve and have learned what he does and doesn't like.

Does like: EATING, cuddling, pooping, peeing on mommy, having his hands up by his face, being warm and wrapped up in a blanket, falling asleep in his carseat, having his eyebrows rubbed (weird, right?), peeing and pooping out his diaper
Does NOT like: Having his arms swaddled, diaper changes, clothing changes, getting bathed, getting his feet tickled

Each night had progresively gotten better as he has transitioned to the right schedule. Last night Brayden slept 8 hours in his bassinet and only woke up once to eat and poop. I have been pumping to try to get my supply up because this child can eat. He woke up and nursed for about 45 minutes, then took 3 oz that I had pumped, pooped his pants and went back to bed for 5 hours. Normally I would be worried about him sleeping that long but the doctor said since he had gained weight that it's fine.

At his doctors appointment he had gained 5 ounces (I told you he ate alot!) and the doctor said he was doing great. I forgot to mention in my last post that he had his hearing test done in 3 minutes and it normally takes around 15 (said the nurse) and he passed with flying colors and got a certificate to prove it, sorry little bragging moment.

Today  he had his newborn photo shoot and rocked it. We got there and he was wide awake and would look right at the camera while letting her pose him. The photographer said Brayden looks JUST like his daddy, and it's true. Blake's baby pictures and Brayden's are really similar, but he has more of my temperment. I had pumped 5 oz before we left thinking that I would have at least 2 oz left over... he ate all 5 oz and then nursed. I seriously don't know how he has room for all of this food! She said he was the best baby she had ever photographed because he never cried and let her pose him however she liked. It was so cute watching him, I am so proud of my little man! We couldn't have gotten a better baby and we are so blessed.

While we were taking our family pictures holding our naked little baby he peed ALL OVER me. He had a steady stream going for about 8 seconds and it was just puddling up in my arm and soaked my shirt. Good thing I didn't bring an extra shirt so I was covered in pee haha. It's funny because I thought things like that would bother me, but his pee and poop doesn't gross me out in the least. Everything he does is so cute! When he is hungry he makes monkey noises and it cracks Blake and I up, he's our little monkey.

He is really good at holding his head up and likes to look at whoever is holding him. Last night when Blake and I were putting him to bed I said "I love you Brayden" and he smiled at me! I thought it was just a fluke thing but I said it two more times and he smiled both of those times too!! I can't wait until I get a picture of his smile so you all can see it, it's adorable!

I have lost 35 pounds so far, almost all my water weight is gone except in my thighs and butt (oh yeah, it's cute). Can't wait for this weight to be gone so I can wear normal clothes again! I'm feeling much better, the only thing hurting pretty badly is my back. I feel very blessed that things are going so smoothly for us, prayers are definitely being answered. Having a baby is the most amazing thing in the whole world even though pregnancy sucks. I'd totally do it again because the end result is truly amazing.

2 comments:

  1. YAY for good babies : ) I'm glad things are going so well...now you just need to post pictures with your updates : ) And btw take lots of them because they change SOOO much in the first few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I love it! I agree with Nicole, totally! And we'd all just LOVE to see pictures :o)

    Don't fret too much about getting back to baby weight; you took 9 months to put it on, and your body may not lose a ton of weight until it figures out nursing. Bodies tend to hold onto a bit until there's a steady feeding routine, because they feel like they can't let any calories go that might be needed. But, on the bright side, nursing burns SOOOOO many calories!! :o) Keep drinking that water to keep up with Brayden! There are even recipes (called "lactation recipes") that are supposed to help a mama up her supply! Crazy, right!?

    PS--35 lbs!?!? That's amazing!!! You are just a rockstar :o) Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete